[Asterisk-Users] Can Asterisk Set CallerID on Broadvoice?

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Sun Nov 20 08:26:19 MST 2005

> Its not permitted becuase broadvoice auths against the caller id data..
>
> To see something funny if you have 2 broadvoice accounts (do not use
> someone elses that is a bad thing) set account 1 to use the callerid of
> account 2, you will see a failed invite (at least with 1.0.x) on account
> 2 for the call.  I almost wonder if all SIP devices are smart enough to
> reject such calls or if they are gonna have problems with people abusing
> that knowledge to force people to call premium numbers and such.

BV apparently has decided to avoid those callerid problems by implementing
limits on their equipment that basically emulates the US pstn telephony
standards. Since we all know BV uses non-asterisk equipment for their
primary itsp infrastructure, the limitation might be imposed by their
softswitch manufacturer.

I have a friend that works in a US central office and he reportedly
will change the calleridname in the libd database to "God Calling", dial
a friend, and then change it back. Raises at least some questions. ;)