[Asterisk-Users] Mission-Critical Deployments

Ed Greenberg edg at greenberg.org
Sat Nov 19 08:40:10 MST 2005

--On Thursday, November 17, 2005 11:13 AM -0500 C F <shmaltz at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Use Channel Banks, they are the best possible. A quad port T1 gives
> you 96 channels, all can be used for analog stations. which means you
> will need at least 2 quad t1 cards. I personaly like the Adit 600 for
> this job.

We did a smaller PBX... 40 extensions, 20 outgoing modems for polling
distant equipment.

We have a 6mb incoming internet connection with no QOS or VLAN work done.

We used, and I'm happy with, the Audiocodes MP124 for analog extensions.
Rock solid, presents a SIP interface to Asterisk. Store configs on a tftp
server. We even do outgoing modem calls over the MP124. Haven't played with
fax yet.

We bought used Cisco 7960s from VoipSupply for the sets. Got 40 good ones -
no returns.

I wrote some scripts that allow me to rebuild extensions.conf, sip.conf,
voicemail.conf and the Cisco .cfg files from a few flat file tables that
can be maintained in excel (or vi :) I want to go to Realtime for those
config files, so I can do a small PHP app and offload the add, move, change
feature.

We ported our block of 100 DIDs from SBC to Level3 (we are direct connected
to L3) for VoIP delivery. Also ported a few 800 numbers.

Wrote two IVRs for answering the two 800 numbers, and also for callers who
transfer out of voicemail.

We also have a channelized T1 for a specialized application. Terminated it
in a TE410.

We run the PBX on a Dell 1850. Two power supplies, UPS, Raid 1, Fedora Core
3, Asterisk 1.2beta1 (gonna upgrade soon).

No significant complaints.

Is it mission critical? Well, if it goes south, 35 angry people and about
10 million in annual sales will be impacted. (Also, children will not get
their ice cream -- one of the businesses is ice cream distribution :) It's
critical to MY mission as their consultant that they be happy, so I guess
it is.

The server load average doesn't even get off the peg.

I would not hesitate to put another 200 extensions on it. Go for it.

</edg>