[Asterisk-Users] Forward Voicemail to remote server?

Noah Miller noah at rosecompanies.com
Fri Nov 18 15:37:18 MST 2005

Hi -

I've read through the various posts to this list regarding this, but I
haven't really seen an answer.

We have a user (our CEO) who has phones in two different offices, and we'd
like him to be able to get all his VM in either office, regardless of which
office was originally called.

We currently have this set up with IAX forwards in the dial plan.  Only one
server really stores the voicemails - the other server just calls to the
"central" server to receive VM.

This setup doesn't work very well, though.  Our internet connections are
notoriously unreliable.  We'd like to have our CEO be able to get all his VM
even if an internet connection is down.  Likewise, We'd like callers to be
able to leave him voicemails even if an internet connection is down.

I've thought of rsyncing together the VM directories on each server.  What
happens, though, when both servers have new messages named msg000.*?  Does
the older one get overwritten?

My idea instead is to use externnotify to run some kind of script to forward
the vm to another server.  I'm sort of at a loss as to where to start,
though.  I guess I could rsync the VM files to the other server, and run a
name check to rename the VM files if there's a duplicate name.  The one
problem there are that my coding skills are seriously bad.

Anybody have any ideas or done something similar?

Thanks!
Noah Miller