[Asterisk-Users] Recording voice messages in mp3 format

tmassey at obscorp.com tmassey at obscorp.com
Fri Nov 18 15:27:13 MST 2005

asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com wrote on 11/16/2005 09:46:17 PM:

> Hi,
>          Yes,  I'm using wav for my recording and the file is quite
large.

I too am using WAV files because of the volume issue:  WAV files are
shifted two bits louder than any other format.  (slight details here:
http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2005-September/124570.html
)  That means I'm getting 1MB voicemail files e-mailed to me.  It's not
that big of a deal, but it's kind of stupid.

Any word on if the shifted-bits nature of the WAV format is present (or
even better:  selectable) on any of the other formats in 1.2?  Or might
this be a post-1.2 feature worth considering?

I haven't programmed in C in a good 10 years or so.  But this one
motivates me.  I'm pretty sure I can hack a simple x = x << 2; in there,
but making it selectable from within the voicemail configuration file (or
wherever else it should go) would be much tougher for me.  Might there be
a similar selectable feature that I could examine and get an idea of how
to do it?  Any voicemail experts out there?

Tim Massey