[Asterisk-Users] Poor sounds on Adtran 750

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Fri Nov 18 13:16:21 MST 2005

> How would you test the audio properties of an FXO line? I am interested
> in a way to generate a tone of 1 khz, send it out a line, measure hwo
> the channel bank has converted that tone to real audio, and measure the
> attenuation. Otherwise it all seems like guesswork.
> I do have a Dynatel 745 Subscriber Loop Tester, although I have no idea
> how to use it.

Several ways to do that depending upon what you have available for
resources.

- use the asterisk milliwatt generator (dial into it)
- I use an old Cisco ata186 for sip-to-test-equipment connections
- get the milliwatt number for the Central Office you're connected to

>From what I can tell, the 745 does not have a tone generator, so you
will either need to use a milliwatt generator (CO or asterisk).

Connect the 745 to the rj11 port of an ata186 (or sipura, fxs port, etc),
and dial the milliwatt. It generates 0db tone at 1000 hz, same as the
CO based milliwatt. Use the 745 to measure the tone level to ensure
you can make the equipment work correctly.

Use the 745 on another telco line to dial into your asterisk (to its
milliwatt) and measure the tone level. The difference is your pstn loss
(divid by two if both pstn lines are analog).

If you have access to the CO milliwatt, dial into it using the 745 to
determine what loss your pstn line has. Use that value as your
reference for all other connections that you might want to test
through your channel bank.

Once you know what the pstn loss is (without the channel bank) then
you can test about anything taking that value into consideration.

Rich