[Asterisk-Users] Eicon Diva Server query

Armin Schindler armin at melware.de
Thu Nov 17 23:57:50 MST 2005

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005, Avi Miller wrote:
> Hello gurus!
>
> I've given up on crappy passive ISDN cards and am heading into the wild
> world of real, Active Super Dooper Server boards. I have a choice of two
> Eicon Diva Server cards:
>
> Eicon Diva Server 4BRI
> Eicon Diva Server V-4BRI
>
> The V-4BRI is actually cheaper, but I'm guessing its for voice only (which
> isn't a problem, going into an Asterisk box). Do these cards play nicely
> with Linux (2.6 kernel) and Asterisk? Any tips/tricks/pitfalls?

Actually the V-4BRI should be more expensive than the 4BRI. The 'V' does
mean Voice, but this card has more Voice-features besides the standard 4BRI
DSP features (I think it's G.723).
But this does not matter when using with Asterisk and chan_capi currently.
Both cards support RTP, which can be used to bridge a call directly to a
SIP phone where the Diva card is doing all the necessary stuff (codecs,
jitter, echo-cancel). But this feature is not yet implemented into chan_capi
yet (due to lack of time and the Asterisk API does not really help).

Anyway, for Asterisk you can use both cards with the same features.

Armin