[Asterisk-Users] Large Implementation

Elmar Haneke elmar at haneke.de
Thu Nov 17 08:17:13 MST 2005

> Hi, somebody has implemented Asterisk in one organizacion with amount
> of  extenciones in the order of 20.000?

If you intend to implement an PBX with 20.000 phones attached you have
to estimate the number of simultaneous connections.

I would estimate this to be the bottleneck, not the existence of
20.000 phonenumbers which might be stored in an database.

Since asterisk ist really flexible it's not really a problem to
distribute it on several servers:

* Each server does handle a part of attached phones

* Configuration is stored in an central database

* in extensions.conf there should be an AGI used to determine where to
route each call.

* if necessary each server gets an local replication of config data.

* the servers can be physically distributed if necessary - each
division can get an server of it's own. This is necessary if the
phones are not VoIP but connected by an dedicated wire.

Elmar