[Asterisk-Users] Predictive Dialer

Matt Florell astmattf at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 05:36:48 MST 2005

There are actually 8 add-on predictive dialer solutions listed on the wiki:
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Predictive+dialer

GnuDialer and VICIDIAL are the only two that are fully GPL.

As for an integrated predictive dialer in Asterisk, I can assure you
that the core developers of Asterisk had no intention of building in a
full-featured predictive dialer.

In fact up until about 2 years ago, people that were developing
dialers based on Asterisk kept a pretty low profile on this list so
they would not be harassed.

Another reason for reluctance to build-in a dialer is the fact that
Digium makes quite a bit of money licensing Asterisk code to
predictive dialer makers like Aheeva and if they released a full
predictive dialer they would be affecting those revenue streams and
competing with some of their rather large customers.

The GPL dialers that are available are free and compatible with the
latest Asterisk releases and, I can speak for VICIDIAL at least, have
thousands of seats in production around the world at this time.

As for a working server, I have 12 in production right now that are
running VICIDIAL.

Here is the case-study I presented at Astricon this year about how we
developed VICIDIAL:
http://astguiclient.sourceforge.net/astricon_2005/Florell_astricon_2005.html

Hope that explains it,

MATT---