[Asterisk-Users] g729 status in New Zealand

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Wed Nov 16 03:55:15 MST 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 05:51 -0500, Paul wrote:
> TU is not involved in licensing or patent indemnification; they
> > are non-profit standards body. The G.729 patent holders have given
> > Sipro the task of managing their patent portfolio licensing, so that
> > is who you would need to contact. Sipro recently changed their
> > licensing policies, and those changes made the barrier to entry
> > substantially higher. You are welcome to talk to them, of course :-)
>
> Kevin, I gave those policy changes a quick read a few months ago. I get
> the impression that Digium has a definite "grandfathered" advantage. It
> looks to me like they don't want such "general purpose" licensing in the
> future.

IP PBX is one the the specific examples they list on  the sipro website
(I hve the quote and url in a previous email).  Based on that I think
they do allow IP PBXs so long as its the end developer of the system not
someone writing a module to support someone elses product.

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378