[Asterisk-Users] g729 status in New Zealand

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Tue Nov 15 22:27:22 MST 2005

trixter aka Bret McDanel wrote:

> Now for the ITUs site, I found the data set that has the '3
> diskettes' (their words) in the zip file (pdf or word) however that is
> 82 swiss francs, does anyone have a copy that doesnt require such
> payment (legally of course)?

The license under which you obtain that code from the ITU does not allow
redistribution in any form for any purpose.

> I am thinking of making this a AUG project in the near future to come up
> with a cheaper alternative.  From what I am reading on similar ITU
> codecs its under $1 per unit licensing to the ITU so it could be a lot
> cheaper and still provide some money for the Sac AUG to get supplies for
> its activities (Sac AUG is not for profit 100% volunteer so no
> individual would actually profit).  The people saying that thought it
> was about $0.50 per seat royalty.  Maybe when I have time I will contact
> the ITU to see what their fee is.

The ITU is not involved in licensing or patent indemnification; they are
non-profit standards body. The G.729 patent holders have given Sipro the
task of managing their patent portfolio licensing, so that is who you
would need to contact. Sipro recently changed their licensing policies,
and those changes made the barrier to entry substantially higher. You
are welcome to talk to them, of course :-)