[Asterisk-Users] RE: RE: "open" asterisk?

Aidan Van Dyk aidan at highrise.ca
Tue Nov 15 21:38:37 MST 2005

gw at adcomcorp.com wrote:

> Millions of dollars in hardware sales?  I admit I don't know what there
> sales level is, but I doubt that it's 1 mil at this stage in the game.
> And, if it were, that has nothing to do with profit.  You can make 1 mil
> in sales in a year but still walk away with a net loss.

http://news.com.com/Is+the+telephone+industry+ready+for+open+source/2008-1082_3-5737703.html

I don't know how accurate that is, but seeing as it's an interview with
Mark, I wouldn't think the background info would be off my multiple orders
of magnitudes...

> Without the community where would digium be? Don't know, probably doing
> the same but in a proprietary format, giving people no choice but to
> shell out the big bucks.

Yes, but who is the primary consumer of their hardware?  And do you think
they would be selling as much hardware if Asterisk only came bundled with
said hardware and a bigger price tag?

Digium benefits from the Asterisk Community.  Like wise, the community
benefits from the code Diguim has released.