[Asterisk-Users] FXO module picks up but incoming callers only hear the ringing tone.

Eugene eugene at homemoviedepot.com
Tue Nov 15 11:44:10 MST 2005

My problem is that the Asterisk CLI reports that the caller has been
connected to the voice menu (IVR) system, but the caller does not hear
the menu. They only hear the ringing tone/toots/beeps. It seems like the
module is damaged because replacing the FXO module with a new one fixes
everything.

I've had this problem happen 5 times already, each time on different
modules. Hence, different ports on the 4 port Digium TDM board. The only
way I've fixed it is to replace the FXO module with a new one. If I swap
a failed module into a working slot, it still failes leading me to
confirm that it's the FXO module that's bad. Sometimes (but not all the
time), when a module exhibits these symptoms, I can't call out through
that module either.

Anyone else experienced this problem before? If so, can it be fixed in
software? Or maybe a way to 'reset' the module? I'm beginning to wonder
if it's my PC hardware that's causing the FXO modules to fail.

My setup
Dell Dimension 3.0GHz machine
512MB RAM
80GB hard drive
(think that's all the relevant PC data)
3 x 4 port Digium TDM cards.
- 2 cards with 4 FXO modules
- 1 card  with 4 FXS modules (never had problems with these)
- 4 SIP phones.

Thanks for any help/advice.