[Asterisk-Users] How to check how many G729 codec licenseinstalled

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Tue Nov 15 10:40:37 MST 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 01:20 +0800, Mark Quitoriano wrote:
> how can i force asterisk to use g.729 codec first. i try to call
> outside sometimes the g.729 is being used sometimes not.

Asterisk will negotitate based on your list of available codecs for a
channel and the remote end points available codecs.  If you set it to
only g.729 and the other end doesnt support g.729 the call will fail.

Keep in mind that g.729 takes more cpu than some other codecs.  Take
ulaw, while it uses quantinization it doesnt really compress (its
arguable that quantinization is compression but that is a symantic
argument more than anything).  So its a trade off between cpu and
network resources.

If you truely want to force all calls to use g.729 or nothing only allow
g.729 and disallow everything else.  I do not think you will be happy
unless you use only providers that support g.729 and have enough
licenses available for every call that you make.  If you directly
connect to other servers that you dont know whether or not they do g.729
or if your provider doesnt have enough g.729 licenses you may see both
inbound and outbound calls fail from time to time.

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378