[Asterisk-Users] Can someone explain the 's' extension

Neil Cherry ncherry at comcast.net
Mon Nov 14 18:42:32 MST 2005

Eric "ManxPower" Wieling wrote:
> Neil Cherry wrote:
>> Does someone explain the 's' extension? In the Wiki it says it's
>> the catch all extension. In the Asterisk 1.2-rc1 it say it isn't
>> but doesn't say anything more. Needless to say I'm confused.
>
> When a call comes into Asterisk (PSTN, VoIP, etc) and call has NO
> information as to what extension to route to then Asterisk will try
> sending the call to extension => s
>
> In practice this only happens if you have a voice T-1 (Not PRI) with no
> DIDs, or if you have an analog FXO port.

Wow, thanks guys for the quick response. I'm checking out the
pdf file (previous list message).

Funny thing is I can get Asterisk to use the 's' extension as a
catch all (I use the include => xcontext command). But I needed
to describe it properly for chapter in a book I'm writing. Man
I hope I get this stuff right!

BTW, I'm using SIP extensions to do all my testing. Works great
(when I remember to include the correct contexts ;-)

Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               (Text only)
http://hcs.sourceforge.net/                     (HCS II)