[Asterisk-Users] "open" asterisk?

Lee Howard faxguy at howardsilvan.com
Mon Nov 14 18:41:35 MST 2005

BJ Weschke wrote:

> ABE exists for corporations that say "How can we consider
>implementing open sourced software that has no commercial support and
>isn't thoroughly tested?". The demand was there for corporations that
>wanted a "commercial package" before they went ahead with
>implementation.. They answered that call.

I didn't say that there wasn't a call for it, just that answering that
call would be a less-successful business approach.

It's a fairly small niche, this group of corporations that say "how can
we consider...?"  If the business is too small then they either deal
with the risks or they deal without them.  If the business is too big
then they can cover the risk themselves.  It's a relatively small
segment of the market that says, "Hey, we need this product but we can't
deal with the associated risks."

In any case, the purpose you've outlined to me is one more geared
towards software *support* services rather than actual software sales,
which is what I was saying was a "good" thing to do (although offering
limited returns).  My comments were directed to a faulty statement about
the flaws in businesses and open-source software.

Lee.