[Asterisk-Users] Anybody tried it from India ?.

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Mon Nov 14 10:32:28 MST 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-14 at 09:18 -0800, Dan Austin wrote:
> >> Its illegal to interconnect it to the local pstn (from abroad).
> >>
> >> Dinesh.
>
> > I still don't see how this would stop him from using no VOIP
> > protocols and plugging it in to the PSTN. Just use Asterisk as a PBX,
>
> > no VOIP, no bypassing the Indian telephone monopoly (assuming that
> > there is one).
> Actually there are several.  It might not make much sense to you,
> we either for that matter, but it is illegal.  To the point that
> plugging in a system capable of VoIP, but not used for VoIP can get
> you in trouble.

That law just changed, or so the news blubs indicated.

The bust (same week as the changes I read about)
http://news.webindia123.com/news/showdetails.asp?id=160798&cat=India

UPI reports that india changed stuff in their laws now
http://www.physorg.com/news8123.html

I didnt read the article in full before (and didnt read *that* article
specifically).  Its legal for outside india, if you want to call inside
india you have to use the regular telco stuff, but with the entry fees
being lowered that monopoly may be challenged.

For the most part it was quasi-legal, on the books as illegal but rarely
enforced, although for the one call shop it seems that it did get
enforced there ...

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378