[Asterisk-Users] asterisk sample size adjustment

Dan Austin Dan_Austin at Phoenix.com
Mon Nov 14 10:11:12 MST 2005

>> hi,
>>
>> 723 needs 30ms + 5ms forward. 729 needs 10ms + 5ms forward. The
>> 'standard' for 711 is actually 6ms (48 bytes). This would have to be
>> done per channel (or per codec), but I am not sure wherever Asterisk
>> allow per codec size or run's with one static size???

There is a patch in Mantis, bugid 5162, I think, that allows for
changing
the packetization size.  It surrently works on  global/users/peers, but
is not per codec.

Bug 5162 updates the  core RTP code and adds the packetization options
to chan_sip.  There is a seperate patch to add packetization to the
ooH323c version of chan_h323.

> Yeah and the gsm one usually uses 20ms.  A per codec way would be
ideal,
> I implied that in my original post, or something.  I just thought that
> for network tuning purposes it might be nice to actually have that
> ability.  Less padding more payload on the ATM cells makes for a more
> efficient network :)

> AFAIK all the sample sizes are hardcoded, but figured I would ask and
> see if anyone knew of a way short of altering the code to adjust this.
> While altering the code is usually not a problem, it makes updating a
> little more work and stuff..

Dan