[Asterisk-Users] Anybody tried it from India ?.

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Mon Nov 14 04:49:12 MST 2005

I can not see that its illegal to have Asterisk in India. The TDM400P
card should work fine - but it may not be approved to be interconnected
to the phone system. (This never stopped me doing similar things).

I'm assuming that its possible to connect a 2-wire phone to the Indian
phone system - ie - if you have ever bought a 2-wire phone from the USA
and got it to work - then there should be no problem. In the UK - BT use
a 3-wire system, the extra wire for ringing a bell... but actually
provide 2-wire to the house. People seem to have little difficulty with
the TDM400 there. I've had no problems all over Africa - you should be
fine.

Asterisk makes a great (cost wise) and highly functional PABX
replacement. This in itself is reason to install Asterisk.

The fact that it does VoIP as well is an additional bonus - just don't
get caught using it?

Up until the beginning of this year, VoIP was illegal in South Africa -
never stopped most people. It is possible for telco's to monitor and
even recognise and record 'voice' on the internet - but they usually
look for common Codecs (u-law, a-law) and probably have better things to
do.

On Mon, 2005-11-14 at 15:50 +0800, Dinesh wrote:

> Its illegal to interconnect it to the local pstn (from abroad).
>
> Dinesh.

  .  .     ___. .__      Posix Systems - Sth Africa.  e.164 VOIP ready
 /| /|       / /__       mje at posix.co.za  -  Mark J Elkins, Cisco CCIE
/ |/ |ARK \_/ /__ LKINS  Tel: +27 12 807 0590  Cell: +27 82 601 0496