[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk overlap dialing (PRI)

James Texter james.texter at cox.net
Sun Nov 13 20:01:00 MST 2005

In my telecom experience, overlap on a PRI isn't sending digits as
INFORMATION messages, but instead means to send the digits as DTMF tones
over the B channel.  This is pretty common when connecting to the PSTN
where the carrier requires an authorization code, either for billing or
as an access code.  If it's a robbed-bit T1, you just send all digits,
including authorization code as DTMF.  However, on PRI, you send the
phone number in the SETUP message, and once you get a PROCEEDING event
back, you send the authorization code as DTMF on the B channel.  I would
imagine that is what the overlapdial setting does, but can't confirm
since I don't have the source code on this machine.

HTH,

James