[Asterisk-Users] IAX2 multiple audio frames per UDP packet?

Branko Samardzic branko_samardzic at rogers.com
Fri Nov 11 15:15:38 MST 2005

Hi Andrew,

thanks for your prompt response. However, I am not sure whether IAX trunking
can be of any benefit on 33.6kbps link. It shows significant bandwith
reduction
on 2 and more simultaneous calls. My question relates to single call over
such
link.
Current measurement say that gsm call consumes approx 32kbps in each
direction.
So, there is no question that single call is only possibility for such link.

I was able to tweak some old H323 implementations to consume far less
bandwith
by grouping 2 or more audio frames into single UDP packet (at the cost of
additional
delay and bigger jitter buffer). My question is related to this matter.
Is it possible to force Asterisk to package multiple audio frames in single
UDP
packet even in case of single IAX call. If that is the case then some
overhead
can be prevented thus enabling conversations even over such a slow link.
Regards,
Branko S.