[Asterisk-Users] Softphone with Lotus Notes support?

Paul Davidson planac at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 05:49:52 MST 2005

> Message: 5
> Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 08:11:09 +0100
> From: "Stefan-Michael. Guenther (in-put GbR)" <S.Guenther at in-put.de>
> Subject: [Asterisk-Users] Softphone with Lotus Notes support?
> To: asterisk-users at lists.digium.com
>
> Hi,
>
> has anyone of you heard of a softphone or client that support Lotus Notes?
> I just want to click on the telephone number of an account and my hard- or
> softphone should get the call.
>
> Something similar to the outlook clients from Thirdlane
> (http://www.thirdlane.com/opensource.htm#dialer)
> or EyePMedia (http://www.eyepmedia.com/)
>
> Thanks for any suggestions,
>
> Stefan
> --

> in-put GbR - Das Linux-Systemhaus
> Stefan-Michael Guenther
> Moltkestrasse 49 D-76133 Karlsruhe
> Tel./Fax : +49 (0)721 / 83044 - 98/93
> http://www.in-put.de
> Schulungen Installationen
> Beratung Support

As someone who uses and develops Notes and Asterisk on an almost daily
basis, I can tell you two things:
1. Technically, all softphones 'support' Lotus Notes- if Notes knew how to
pass them a number, they'd dial it. Notes, however, especially in it's
address book, doesn't support anyone.
2. Since Notes is one heck of a lot more programmer-friendly than
Outlook/Exchange will ever be (I'm not biased, really..), adding such
functionality to your address books would be a snap. Simply pick a softphone
you like that supports any sort of API to accept dialing, preferably one
that supports URI dialing (DIAX comes to mind, but it's really up to you),
and modify the design of your address book (personal or system) to turn the
Phone Number field into a link hotspot. Click, done.

What I have done goes another step farther into the dark side- since Domino
natively supports LDAP, I wrote a script to pull all names and numbers
(10,000 of them) out of Domino using LDAP, drop them into a MySQL database,
then re-present it on my Cisco phones as a directory, and via Apache as a
web service, which supports click to dial via call files in Asterisk. I'm
now working on an agent for individual user Personal Address Books to
'synchronize' with this directory structure, so I can combine a user's
personal contacts with the main 'corporate' directory when they are
searching for contacts. I'd offer it here, and someday I might, however,
since each corporate Domino enviromnet is so very different, I have to
basically restructure the code for each implementation- and I havent made
the code mature enough to have anyone other than me do it. So for now, it's
a single-client application. But, I'd be happy to share implementation
details with anyone who wants to email me offline.

-pbd