[Asterisk-Users] DSL router with QOS

Rusty Dekema rdekema at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 15:52:12 MST 2005

Speaking from my own experience, I would say that "the point" is that when a
user has, for instance, a DSL line running at 3.0mbps down and 256kbps up,
it is very easy to saturate the outgoing bandwidth, resulting in queues of
up to 1-2 seconds for outgoing packets at the DSL modem.

The ADSL line that I use for my VoIP needs is somewhat faster than this,
clocking in at 768kbps upstream, but I nevertheless find it very beneficial
to send my VoIP packets to the "head of the queue" using a Linux bridge that
I have inserted into my network between my DSL CPE (bridge) and the rest of
my network.

-Rusty