[Asterisk-Users] Clarification on chan_modem.so module

BJ Weschke bweschke at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 11:25:25 MST 2005

On 11/10/05, Mr. James W. Laferriere <babydr at baby-dragons.com> wrote:
>        Hello BJ & all ,
>
> On Thu, 10 Nov 2005, BJ Weschke wrote:
> > On 11/10/05, Chuck Bunn <chuck.bunn at networkdoc.com> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Just so I am clear for version 1.2 has chan_modem.so been depreciated?
> >> That means I should also remove this module from loading in the
> >> modules.conf if I am using Asterisk 1.2 rc1. Do I have to do anything to
> >> replace this functionality (I do not really understand what
> >> chan_modem.so was used for other than it seemed to be linked to
> >> musiconhold...)
>
> > Yes. It has been deprecated. I believe it's original purpose was to
> > be able to use the "voice modems" out there as FXO ports in Asterisk.
> > You musiconhold will function without it.
>        Can you speak to ,  what other functionality has taken it place ?
>        Some people out here use the chan_modem.so functionality .
>                Tia ,  JimL
> --
 Jim,

 As the story goes, there were too many "known problems" with the
hardware performing in the capacity the code was asking it to, and
that lead to alot of functionality issues that weren't really
resolvable.

 As a result, there isn't any functionality that takes its place on
that same hardware. The recommendation is to seek out alternate FXO
hardware.

--
Bird's The Word Technologies, Inc.
http://www.btwtech.com/