[Asterisk-Users] Zap/TDM400p with old phone.

Tom Rymes trymes at rymesheating.com
Wed Nov 9 16:19:43 MST 2005

On Nov 8, 2005, at 11:52 PM, Eric "ManxPower" Wieling wrote:

> Tom Rymes wrote:
>> Folks,
>> I am trying to use and **OLD** Automatic electric phone with my
>> Asterisk server by plugging it into an FXS port on my TDM400p.
>> The  phone works great when plugged into a POTS line from
>> Verizon.  However, when I plug it into my TDM400p, the ringer is
>> very weak, and  pulse dialing does not work at all.
>> I added pulsedial=yes to /etc/asterisk/zapata.conf, but when I
>> perform a "zap show channel x" it shows "Pulse phone: no".
>> For background, this is running A at H 1.3, which is Asterisk 1.0.8.
>> I  post here because I don't think this is an A at H specific
>> problem, so  no "this isn't an A at H list!" postings, please. I have
>> also attempted  adding "pulsedial=yes" to /etc/asterisk/
>> zapata_additional.conf and / etc/asterisk/zapata-auto.conf. None
>> of these work. Do I need to patch  something to make this work, or
>> should it just work out of the box?
>> Also, does anyone have suggestions for making the ringer work
>> properly? Google provides lots of questions but no answers on both
>> of  these problems.
>
> Google Search: site:lists.digium.com boostringer

Thanks for the pointer, Eric. For anyone else trying this, I simply
edited /usr/src/zaptel/wctdm.c and changed "static int boostringer =
0;" to "static int boostringer = 1;" (Changed the 0 to a 1). Then,
stop Asterisk, unload zaptel, recompile zaptel, and then reload
zaptel and reload Asterisk. For those using Asterisk at Home:

1.) log in as root
2.) edit /usr/src/zaptel/wctdm.c
3.) /usr/sbin/amportal stop (This stops Asterisk)
4.) service zaptel stop (This unloads Zaptel)
5.) rebuild_zaptel
6.) service zaptel start (This reloads Zaptel)
7.) /usr/sbin/amportal start (This starts Asterisk again...)

Of course, you could just issue a rebuild_zaptel command and reboot,
but where's the fun in that?

The change seems to have improved the ringer, but it still isn't as
good as a Verizon POTS line. Also, I still cannot get pulse dialing
working properly. It seems to work somewhat, but certainly not
reliably. Often, I can dial another extension on my PBX and it will
ring, but the old pulse phone actually gets a second dialtone in the
receiver, as if I had flashed the switchhook. If I do indeed flash
the switchhook twice, I am connected to the dialed extension,
assuming that they picked up.

Any ideas why my zapata is ignoring the pulsedial=yes directive?

Does anyone know of an ATA that supports pulse dialing?

Tom