[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Fax support using T.38

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Wed Nov 9 15:55:28 MST 2005

T.37 actually isnt that bad.  When its 'fax' (ie analog data passed to
represent data) its TDM, however to cross the internet and reap cost
savings its effectively mime encoded and sent via SMTP.  This gives you
the TDM capabilities (no jitter, low latency, all the things faxes
like).  The combination of the two is appealing from a technical
standpoint vs analog fax over a network because of bandwidth savings,
potentially easier to distribute to multiple destinations, allows for
TCP connections on a lower QoS to be sent, etc.  At least appealing to
me.

This also makes it easier to integrate into a unified messaging solution
because you would have the fax as an email at some point, delivery does
not have to be to another fax machine.