[Asterisk-Users] Cisco DHCP and Polycom boot server

Noah Miller noah at rosecompanies.com
Wed Nov 9 15:07:54 MST 2005

Hi -

I've been trying to set up my Polycom phones to get the boot server info
(tftp-server-address) from DHCP on a Cisco router.  I've previously just
specified it manually on the phone, and that works well enough, but I need
to change now (because of the number and geographic locations of the
phones).

I can actually get it to work just fine (using option 66 on the Cisco
router), if I change the DHCP menu on the Polycom phone to show "BootSrv
Type: String".  That's great, but that's not a default setting, and I don't
want to have to change any settings on the phone.  I want the phones to be
able to provision fully, out-of-the-box, with nothing but the info from
DHCP.

If I leave the default setting (BootSrv Type: IP Address), and tell the
Cisco router to send the boot serverinfo as an IP rather than as a string,
nothing happens.  The phone just says "Could not contact boot server, using
existing configuration", but according to the FTP logs and ethereal, the
phone doesn't actually try to contact the boot server at all.  I've tried
various version of the bootrom, but nothing has worked so far.

Has anybody gotten this to work? (Cisco router DHCP and Polycom boot server)

Thanks,
Noah