[Asterisk-Users] groupware + unified messagerie +Asterisk

Dan Austin Dan_Austin at Phoenix.com
Wed Nov 9 11:03:04 MST 2005

This topic pops up every few months.  The interest is real, but
so far no code has appeared.  The last time it was discussed these
ideas were offered to make it a reality (again with no code)

-  Modify app_voicemail to include an asterisk specific X-header
to identify voicemail messages.
-  Create a 'helper' app to monitor all local mailboxes (remote
mailboxes will range from difficult to impossible).  The app
will need read/write permissions in all monitored mailboxes.
	-  If a message is deleted from a phone, delete the
	corresponding message from the users mailbox
	-  If a message is deleted from an email client, delete
	it from the local store.
	-  Another option is to maintain only a single copy of
	 the message and attempt to stream the message back from
	 the mailstore.
	-  Track message state in the mailbox to properly control
	the MWI

The trick is in what methods the helper app supports, local, IMAP,
POP3.  I prefer IMAP with maildir support on my systems, other
sysadmins will want POP3 with mbox.

It's all possible, but beyond my skills to code.

Dan