[Asterisk-Users] groupware + unified messagerie +Asterisk

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Wed Nov 9 03:51:25 MST 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-09 at 23:39 +1300, Matt Riddell wrote:
> harry gaillac wrote:
> > Somebody would be interested in a such project ?
>
> I think quite a few people do this kind of thing in house - it's kinda one of
> those personal preferences things.
>
> Does anyone want to make one that fits everyone's setup?  I don't know.  But I
> don't have enough time at the moment to do one.

Unified Messaging was really hot 5+ years ago, now I dont see the
advertisements for service providers and such  that I once saw, but then
I also dont work for a UM company anymore and I did at that time so
maybe that has something to do with it.

Many millions in VC were flying around at one time, of course that was
late 90s early 2000 and any crackpot could get VC money (and many did :)
Doing it totally free is going to be the trick because the tools that
are available arent quite what they could be.  So you would either have
to invest a lot of time yourself into making this all work well or buy
some commercial products.  TTS is one of the areas that free isnt always
better, although rumors abound that you can tweak festival to be much
better than its default settings, it may be worth it to invest a few
hundred into some other program so you dont have to play as much.  Time
vs Money issue.

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378