[Asterisk-Users] Intel Desktop MotherBoards Unsuitable for Digium Boards

Rod Bacon rod.bacon at empoweredcomms.com.au
Tue Nov 8 20:54:26 MST 2005

I have come across things like this before, but it's generally not an issue if
you simply disable the onboard stuff that you don't need and select the PCI
slot(s) wisely.

I had the situation where my mobo allocated fixed IRQs to each slot, and shared
  IRQs between some of them (I can't remember the exact IRQs, but for arguments
sake; 10, 11, 3, 5, 10, 11 in slot order - 6 slots, 2 sharing IRQs.)

In most cases, IRQ 5 will be unused by anything on the mobo, giving one "fixed,
unused" interrupt. This is where I placed my zaptel card.

By disabling my COM ports, I was able to free IRQ3. You can also disable stuff
like USB, Parallel, Audio, secondary IDE, etc. etc, which can all free-up IRQs.

Rod Bacon
Empowered Communications
Ground Floor, 102 York St. South Melbourne
Victoria, Australia. 3205
Phone: +613 99401600    Fax: +613 99401650
FWD: 512237                   ICQ: 5662270