[Asterisk-Users] Choppy Audio in Echo Test and Music On Hold (1.2.0-b2)

Chris Tracy asterisk at adiemus.org
Mon Nov 7 20:41:50 MST 2005

 	I recently resurrected an old athlon system and put CentOS 4.2 on
it to play with asterisk.  First I tried asterisk-1.0.9, now I'm using
1.2.0-b2.  Both have the same audio issues that have me stumped.

 	I looked through all the lists and forums and the closest I could
get were some messages from 2003:

http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2003-August/017171.html

 	I've got asterisk set up with my xten-lite softphone on extension
200 over SIP.  I've configured extension 611 as an echo test and 612 will
play 30 seconds of MusicOnHold.  I can connect to both just fine, however,
they sound rather bad when they work (quite muddy) and periodically they
just drop out for as much as 5 seconds before coming back.

 	Enabling all the debugging and verbosity options, I've found a few
messages that occur during each drop.  During the MOH run, every time
there's a drop, the console scrolls:

res_musiconhold.c:535 monmp3thread: Only wrote -1 of 640 bytes to pipe

over and over until the sound comes back, at which point, the console
message:

rtp.c:1247 ast_rtp_raw_write: Difference is 33824, ms is 4248

is displayed.  (Not always the same numbers in that one, obviously)

 	In the echo test, again, after a drop, the audio returns and a
message similar to:

rtp.c:1247 ast_rtp_raw_write: Difference is 12496, ms is 1582

is displayed.

 	The asterisk server is on a single Athlon MP 1600+ (1.4GHz) with
512MB of RAM.  It's got a K7D-Master mobo, and is connected to the system
running the softphone through a 100Mbit LAN.

 	I've not enabled any of the MMX optimizations as there were
warnings that they didn't play nice with AMD chips.

 	If there's any further info I can provide, I'd be happy to.

 	Thanks,

 	Chris