[Asterisk-Users] DNS Server Failure wreaks havoc

Mojo with Horan & Company, LLC mojo at horanappraisals.com
Mon Nov 7 12:40:38 MST 2005

I installed a caching dns server on the * box itself 'cause when the
external dns stopped resolving guess where my emailed voicemails went?
Ya, I don't know either.  :P  They weren't in the mailq but showed up
just a little while later when the names began resolving again :)

Brian Capouch wrote:
> I don't think this is a new issue--I've seen it talked about on the list
> before.  I don't know if I've ever seen anyone post a fix.
>
> My DNS server went out last night in a horrendous storm when an upstream
> link went down.  The madness is that the behavior of the whole server,
> including the part that's handling my POTS lines, gets wigged out on a
> DNS failure, making the whole system unusable.  I have two questions;
> being able to solve either would be wonderful:
>
> * Is it true that if I hand-resolve the server names in all the config
> files, and then use those instead of the hostnames, this problem won't
> occur?  That's not exactly optimal, of course, since it defeats the
> whole purpose of dynamic name binding.  But it's hard to explain to my
> SOHO customers, who don't really need any IP-based functionality
> (although I give all of them some complimentary minutes on nufone) why
> their phones go down when the Internet is down.
>
> * Is it true that there's no way to get applications in Linux, generally
> speaking, to try more than a single server when doing a name resolve?
> Only the first server listed in /etc/resolv.conf (on my systems, anyway)
> seems to ever get consulted.
>
> I think both of these situations are pretty serious failings, if in fact
> they're failings in the systems and not this bedeviled cranium.
>
> Thanks.
>
> B.

Mojo <mojo at horanappraisals.com>
Office Manger, Horan & Company, LLC