[Asterisk-Users] CentOS vs. Vanilla Kernel

Jesse Keating jkeating at gamehouse.com
Mon Nov 7 11:34:12 MST 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 18:17 +0000, Julian Lyndon-Smith wrote:

> What is the opinion of this fine list  - should I use the default CentOS
> kernel (2.6.9-22.0.1.EL) or download from kernel.org the latest stable
> (2.6.14)
>
> Anyone got any clues / hints / tips on what should go into the kernel ?
>
> All views and comments appreciated :)

Depends.  Do you want to spend your time using the system and working on
Asterisk, or do you want to spend your time tracking kernel changes,
patching security fixes, tracking down kernel bugs, breaking rpm deps
and working around that, etc, etc, etc...

Red Hat puts a lot of work into making sure their kernel is solid and
secure.  They backport security fixes and bug fixes into their stable
tree, 2.6.9.  In my opinion, I'd rather let the folks that know the
kernel work on it rather than spend my limited time on it.

--
Jesse Keating
GameHouse -- Systems Engineer