[Asterisk-Users] h323 nat externip

Ben Dinnerville bdinnerv at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 04:55:03 MST 2005

HI All,

Is there some way of telling h323 / oh323 to use an externip in the
rtp streams and 323 data similar to how you can configure sip on
asterisk?

We have a system that we need to be able to send outbound calls via
sip (working fine) and receive calls via h323. The machine is on a
private lan behind nat, which we have managed to get working fine with
the voice gateway via sip, but when ever calls come in via h323, the
asterisk server sends accepts the call then starts sending rtp packets
back to the voice gateway, with the local lan ip address as the
address for the gateway to respond to (the voice gateway is a Quintum
tenor DX, we did some logging on it to figure out that it was trying
to respond to 192.168.1.2 instead of our external ip).
In a sip environment, we would simply set externip and the rtp / sip
traffic would have our correct external address in them for the the
downstream gateway to communicate back with, but there does not apear
to be any such option in the h323.conf file and i have done a quick
browse of the source and cannot seem to find anything (my c++ us not
the best thou) - is there such an option to force h323 to use an
external ip instead of the local private one? Or does anyone know of a
patch that would allow it to do so? If not, could anyone point me in
the right direction for hakcing the code to use either a configured
ecternal ip like in sip.conf, or even where to hardcode the external
ip in the code (yep, am getting that desperate) so that calls will
work.

Currently we can call into the gateway, asterisk answers the call,
then we get the good old 1 way audio problem that plagues this
industry (thou we have sip working fine with a bit of port and
firewall tweaking)

Cheers,

Ben