[Asterisk-Users] DNS Server Failure wreaks havoc

Chris Mason lists at masonc.com
Sun Nov 6 17:42:10 MST 2005

Eric "ManxPower" Wieling wrote:

> Brian Capouch wrote:
>
>> I don't think this is a new issue--I've seen it talked about on the
>> list before.  I don't know if I've ever seen anyone post a fix.
>>
>> My DNS server went out last night in a horrendous storm when an
>> upstream link went down.  The madness is that the behavior of the
>> whole server, including the part that's handling my POTS lines, gets
>> wigged out on a DNS failure, making the whole system unusable.  I
>> have two questions; being able to solve either would be wonderful:
>

> Asterisk is horrible at handleing DNS failures.  Don't use DNS with
> Asterisk.

I have found Asterisk is terrible with any kind of internet outage. IAX
stops trying to register if the internet goes down for a few minutes and
the customer looses long distance calling until a tech resets the PBX. I
had to setup a cron job to reload asterisk every hour to get any kind of
reliability.
I also found the same problem with local calls, when I lose internet the
locals calls go out also. How can that make any sense?

Chris