[Asterisk-Users] DNS Server Failure wreaks havoc

Brian Capouch brianc at palaver.net
Sun Nov 6 10:30:10 MST 2005

I don't think this is a new issue--I've seen it talked about on the list
before.  I don't know if I've ever seen anyone post a fix.

My DNS server went out last night in a horrendous storm when an upstream
link went down.  The madness is that the behavior of the whole server,
including the part that's handling my POTS lines, gets wigged out on a
DNS failure, making the whole system unusable.  I have two questions;
being able to solve either would be wonderful:

* Is it true that if I hand-resolve the server names in all the config
files, and then use those instead of the hostnames, this problem won't
occur?  That's not exactly optimal, of course, since it defeats the
whole purpose of dynamic name binding.  But it's hard to explain to my
SOHO customers, who don't really need any IP-based functionality
(although I give all of them some complimentary minutes on nufone) why
their phones go down when the Internet is down.

* Is it true that there's no way to get applications in Linux, generally
speaking, to try more than a single server when doing a name resolve?
Only the first server listed in /etc/resolv.conf (on my systems, anyway)
seems to ever get consulted.

I think both of these situations are pretty serious failings, if in fact
they're failings in the systems and not this bedeviled cranium.

Thanks.

B.