[Asterisk-Users] sill looking for a provider

Paul digium-list at 9ux.com
Sat Nov 5 12:04:05 MST 2005

I use traceroute to get the hop list and then compare some average ping
times. This gives a clearer picture and sometimes shows the average ping
time to the ultimate destination looking a lot better than what
traceroute shows. In this case it came out worse. I pinged both IP's 15
times and then used the most generous formula which is hop 10 minimum -
hop 7 maximum. That resulted in a difference of 39.355 ms

I get this type of timing often when final leg is over adsl. I have
several customers who insist on using cheap static IP over ADSL for
company mail and web servers. Wireless with a good provider would
probably be better than the ADSL latency I am used to seeing.