[Asterisk-Users] Caller ID How does it get setup?

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Sat Nov 5 00:51:30 MST 2005

> OK I am exhausted.
> I can't seem to figure out how to send a caller ID along with a
> Outbound call.
 < snip >

> Anyway, Outbound Caller ID Hos is this done?
> I now use VoicePulse as my provider.

I'm not a VoicePulse user, so not sure if they even support it.

Here's how I do it with teliax.com

; Calls directed to Teliax.com
exten => _1NXXXXXXXXX,1,Set(CallerIDnum=4024325395|a)
exten => _1NXXXXXXXXX,2,Set(CallerIDname=NPI|a)
exten => _1NXXXXXXXXX,3,Dial(IAX2/teliaxout/${EXTEN})

Some of the itsp's will accept the above and pass it out their PRI
links. Other itsp's don't do support it at all. It depends a lot on
who they are interfacing with from call completion perspective. In
other words, for US PRI links, some carriers refuse to allow their
customers to set the CallerID Num while others allow it.

None of them typically support setting the CallerID Name however.

CallerID Name is usually done via the central office serving the
customer that you called. They do a libd database lookup just prior
to completing the call, and in most cases that database is configurable
by the telco's.

The folks at teliax.com provide two mechanisms for their voip customers
to handle CallerID. The method above is one of those, and the second
is provided through fields that I complete on their web site. I obviously
use the method shown above.

One other comment, generally you can't set the CallerID Num to any old
arbitrary number that you might want. It has to be a real and usable
number.