[Asterisk-Users] curious bandwidth usage (incoming taking 3x more)

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Thu Nov 3 05:13:44 MST 2005

While we are in a process of moving our office, we use soft phones which
connect over WAN/VPN to our Asterisk box in the old office.

We use IAX2 softphones configured to use iLBC.

When we call out using the softphone, the bandwidth usage is at about 3
KB/s (in and out), quality is fine.

However, when someone calls us, the bandwidth usage is about 10 KB/s (in
and out), audio quality is also fin.

How can this difference be explained?

It seems to me, that asterisk uses the ulaw codec when it calls our
softphones, but after trying to play with iax.conf, I don't know how to
make asterisk to try to negotiate iLBC first, then gsm, and ulaw at the
very end.

--
Tomek
http://wpkg.org