[Asterisk-Users] New asterisk web gui for small/medium sized businesses

snacktime snacktime at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 18:22:02 MST 2005

I posted last week that I would get out a release asap, so here it is.
Before I start in on putting up an actual website for it I thought I would
put out a beta release to get things going.

At this point there isn't a name for this project yet, as it's primarily an
internal piece of software that we have been developing. For now I'll call
it Asterisk web gui (AWG).

AWG has a particular focus, which is to provide an easy to use interface for
managing and monitoring asterisk, as well as a nice web interface for
voicemail users as well. We are trying to make it as easy to install as
possible. It plays nice with existing asterisk installations, and it won't
overwrite any of your existing asterisk configuration. If you already have
ruby installed on your system the setup time should be around 15 minutes.
Once you have done one or two installations and know what the steps are,
installation on a new system should average 5-10 minutes at the most. We
have tested it on Freebsd and Debian. It should work on windows also.

AWG is not intended to help you install asterisk and do your basic
configuration. There are other software packages that do everything from
start to finish such as AMP. AWG is dictatorial software. We will not
include features by consensus unless they also fit our vision of what a tool
like this should include. That said we want all the feedback we can get,
particularly from businesses who are looking at it as a solution they might
deploy for their clients. Just realize that it has a particular focus, and
that's not going to change.

There are also a few features not currently present that are on our todo
list to get done asap. A basic interface for viewing CDR records, zap
channel configuration, and a page to monitor real time information such as
channels, peers, queues, etc..

There is a basic online demo at http://69.25.136.214:3000. The
administrative login is user admin, password 'changeme'. The user login is
username demo, password 'changeme'. At the moment there are not a lot of
script templates installed, but the ones that are there will give you an
idea of what you can do with the provisioning features. At the moment the
demo is running in development mode where the errors are verbose and the
code is reloaded for every page, so it's not as fast as you would see in a
production environment.

The setup guide and distribution file are at
http://catalog1.paymentonline.com/~chris

You can send any feedback to my directly at chris at paymentonline.com or on
the list.

The whole thing is licensed under the BSD license.