[Asterisk-Users] faster transcoding possible

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Wed Nov 2 13:51:59 MST 2005

I mirrored it, it got SlashDoSed aparently.
http://www.trxtel.com/transcoding.html

I left out the image of the application, however some key points from
the article - my comments are in square brackets:

The application only works with X1000 series graphics cards, and it only
ever will. That's the only architecture with the necessary features to
do GPU-accelerated video transcoding well.

That's right; we're look at a minimum of 5-to-1 speed improvement over
CPU transcoding speed. That's just huge.

[That is with video - audio should be somewhat easier for it to do, and
one issue is at what point is it slower than using the host cpu, 3
channels?  5?  20?]

Every manufacturer of video transcoding software should be absolutely
beating down a path to ATI's door right about now, figuring out how it
can add that "GPU acceleration" checkbox to its application as quickly
as possible. We mean Nero, Microsoft, Apple, Cyberlink, Adobe, and every
other firm that makes a video-encoding application. Given how many
countless man-hours are spent trying to get a 20% or 30% boost in
encoding performance, the prospect of encoding on the GPU should have a
bunch of engineers salivating.

[it doesnt do audio yet, but that is alledgly a planned feature]

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378