[Asterisk-Users] Satellite WAN

Moody asterisk.user at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 12:38:19 MST 2005

> I have been searching for an alternative network provider, but I'm told
> that they would all take the same route from the US into Canada, as
> there is simply no major backbone running into NB east of Toronto.

I would have to agree with what I am hearing here - I would look at
alternative network configurations beyond simply IP - are you routing to
your hub for internal calls or all calls?

How about routing external calls via a Canadian ITSP? Maybe internal calls
can suffer a bit?

If you are seriously considering looking at a sat connection (price wise) I
would suggest you should be able to find a connection with a reasonable path
to your hub. A good/reliable path with 85+ms latency should provide good
(very usable) quality.

A mix of both of these might solve your problems without introducing more
risk.

I work with several systems in Canada which has required some adjusted
thinking but should be very possible with the right provider.