[Asterisk-Users] faster transcoding possible

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Wed Nov 2 12:11:37 MST 2005

According to http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1880749,00.asp
ATI is delivering a GPU enabled transcoding method that cuts video
transcoding down to 1/5 the time it would take the cpu.  This might also
be applied to audio codecs in theory (I havent looked into it enough).

Lets face it the video controller in an asterisk server is most likely
going to be under utilizied.  You can get a reasonable card for very
little money.  This might be an interesting approach to squeze more
performance out of a system.

This might make things slightly more interesting in the near future.
Although I wonder how much better it would be with a high volume of
calls.
UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378