[Asterisk-Users] IAXy Ringback Issues

Scott Miller scoscmil at imap.iu.edu
Tue Nov 1 15:40:47 MST 2005

Here is a very strange problem I'm running into with all of the IAXy's we're
testing in regards to ringback when placing an outgoing call..

First, let me describe the setup.. We have a production Asterisk 1.0.9 box
running that uses SIP trunks to connect to various Cisco voice gateways.
Those Cisco gateways then connect to internal switches (DMS-100's) via
PRI's.  The "analog" phone switch it connects to uses 5 digit dialing for
internal numbers, and 7 or 10 digit dialing for external and LD numbers.
Therefore, when I am dialing from an IAXy through Asterisk to another analog
internal extension, I am just using 6 digits.  I have the dial plan setup to
match the internal extensions as their 10, 7, or 5 digit numbers.  If, for
some reason, the person dials the full 7 or 10 digits to dial an internal
neighbor, it just strips the unnecessary numbers and sends it to the trunk.

Now here's the problem with the IAXy..  If I dial an internal extension from
the IAXy as XXXXX (5 digit), the destination rings and the call completes,
but I DO NOT hear ringback tone.  If I dial an internal extensions as
XXX-XXXX (7 digit) or XXX-XXX-XXXXX (10 digit), the call completes and I DO
get ringback tone.

I've looked in the logs, and the dial plan is working correctly, whether the
person dials 5, 7 or 10 digits, asterisk is only sending 5 digits to the
trunk to complete the call.  Also, I thought it may be the IAX driver
causing problems, but we have a number of Chinese made phones with ATCOM
chips that use the IAX protocol, none of which are experiencing the same
ringback tone issues.  I've also tried the "beta" version of the IAXy
firmware.

Does this mean the IAXy has some sort of dial plan that controls when it
creates ringback tone?  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott Miller