[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Extension Language -- what's it's "status"?

John Biundo johnbiundo at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 1 11:35:30 MST 2005

John Biundo wrote:
> A couple of observations and questions:
> 1. As far as I can tell, there's limited interoperability between
> existing (extensions.conf) and new (extensions.ael) constructs.  For
> example, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe there's
> a way to access an ael macro from an extensions.conf dial plan.

I'm an idiot.  And on my first post.  Way to go, John.

So the problem is that my #includes weren't working (after my first
mistake, I'll refrain from saying they DON'T work (actually hoping
someone proves me wrong again and explains that they do, indeed, work)),
so my ael macros weren't getting defined in the first place.  Once I
moved them into extensions.ael, they were, as expected, fully available
to my extensions.conf dial plans.

This is goodness, to me, because I think I'll enjoy learning to write
loops and conditionals MUCH MORE in ael than in the old style.