[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Extension Language -- what's it's "status"?

John Biundo johnbiundo at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 1 11:12:44 MST 2005

I've been playing with ael a little bit and wondering how much time to
devote to it.  Originally, when I read about it, I thought I'd try to
convert my extensions.conf files to ael.  But after playing a little
bit, I'm not sure that's a good idea.

A couple of observations and questions:
1. As far as I can tell, there's limited interoperability between
existing (extensions.conf) and new (extensions.ael) constructs.  For
example, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe there's
a way to access an ael macro from an extensions.conf dial plan.

To me, this seems to make dabbling with ael harder, since I can't just
incrementally add some stuff in ael and use it in my dial plan.

2. I can't see a way to organize my ael dial plan using #include's.
Again, for me, this makes experimentation harder since, especially in
conjunction with the first point, I effectively have to maintain my
entire old conglomerate dial plan in one gigantic ael file.  Again,
please correct me if I'm missing something.

All in all, for me, these two points have discouraged me from doing more
than dabbling with ael.  I assume the point of including it in 1.2 is to
get people to try to use it in a serious "beta test" manner.  I wonder
if support for these kind of capabilities is planned?

I really would like to use ael as it seems to have some clear advantages
over the existing "language", but I'm reluctant to be too far out on the
bleeding edge without a little more insight into where this feature is
headed.

Thanks for any input.

Oh, and this is my first post here, so forgive me if I put this in the
wrong place.  Does this belong on the developers list?