[Asterisk-Users] Re: Fresh checkout Zaptel will not compile?

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.clara.co.uk
Tue Nov 1 07:46:06 MST 2005

In article <web-1330378 at ropeguru.com>,
Robert Webb <asterisk at ropeguru.com> wrote:

> Hi all..
>
> I just setup a test box with Debian running kernel 2.6.
> Went to CVS and did a checkout of the new beta 2 release
> using the command:  cvs checkout -r v1-2-0-beta2 zaptel
> libpri asterisk asterisk-addons asterisk-sounds.
>
> I then compiled libpri fine and moved on to zaptel. Did a
> make clean then make install and get the following error:
>
> /bin/sh: line 1: [: argument expected
> make -C  SUBDIRS=/usr/src/zaptel modules
> make: *** SUBDIRS=/usr/src/zaptel: No such file or
> directory.  Stop.
> make: *** [linux26] Error 2
> hecate:/usr/src/zaptel#
>
> I am not up to speed on make or its errors, but it looks
> like to me that it is complaining about /usr/src/zaptel
> not being there or that modules is missing. AS you can see
> from the last line there is a /usr/src/zaptel directory.
> Or is it something with my 2.6 kernel and a modules
> directory or something.

No, the problem is that you don't have the kernel development files
installed. I don't know what you need to apt in Debian: in Fedora
you would need to install kernel-devel or kernel-sources depending
on which release of Fedora.

The clue is the TWO spaces between -C and SUBDIRS. The original
makefile command is:

$(MAKE) -C $(KSRC) SUBDIRS=$(PWD) modules

But $(KSRC) is evaluating as empty.

The "argument expected" line is an error in an earlier makefile
line:

@if [ -z "$(KSRC)" -o ! -d $(KSRC) ]; then echo "You do not appear.....

The second $(KSRC) should also be enclosed in quotes, so as not to
cause a syntax error when $(KSRC) is empty or undefined.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Tony
--