[Asterisk-Users] UPS rating for SOHO asterisk box

Preston Garrison preston at mailblocks.com
Tue May 31 14:07:37 MST 2005

We actually did this, however we didn't use lead acide batteries, but
GEL ones just like UPSes usually come with.  This way their are no
venting issues etc.  It worked great, except don't put too much load on
them.  The circuits actually started to fry when thr power went out and
we had 5 servers humming away on one :)  Putting one or two on a UPS
with a couple of car batteries it lasted forever.  Usually the charge
circuitries consist of sensing when the voltage stops changing, or cuts
the charge off when the battery reaches a certain voltage.  Either way
if they are GEL cells, and the same voltage it could work :)   The UPS
wouldn't know the difference, unless it has some sort of a timer
circuit which cuts the charge off after a certain amount of time, and
you wouldn't really know unless you tried it.

Preston Garrison
direct: 877-748-4142
fax: 310-774-3901
cell: 623-748-4140