[Asterisk-Users] Tools for effectively manage Asterisk (kinda long)

Dustin Wildes asterisk-users at vecsector.com
Tue May 31 12:49:30 MST 2005

>> We are working on finalizing a production release of our PhoneCALL
>> product, a GPL php/smarty configuration GUI for Asterisk:
>> http://www.vecsector.com/phonecall
>> I feel there is nothing wrong with having a web-based configuration
>> utility, if set up correctly. Look at the WRT54G Linksys router, plus
>> other countless devices that use an embedded browser for
>> configurations. It can save a lot of time on training new employees,
>> and syntax issues when starting out. Our goal is to have a GUI that
>> is just as flexible as writing configurations by hand, but not having
>> to write it by hand. ;-)
>>
>> PhoneCALL is not production ready yet, we are on 2.5-RC4 - but within
>> a week or so, we plan to have a very nice/clean stable version that
>> is production ready.
>> We don't have CAPI support built-in yet, but open for any help anyone
>> would like to lend.
>>
> This looks interesting. I am curious as how your view Phonecall
> compared to AMP.

Well, without trying to start a war - I'll give my view & the purpose of
PhoneCALL.  ;-)
AMP seems like a nice product, and looks to be a all-in-one
configuration for a SOHO-type setup.

With PhoneCALL - we are working on creating a highly flexible, scalable
interface - with nice, clean code that is written 100% in php/smarty.
This will make code management alot easier, and we've made every effort
to keep the code well designed so you can write any enhancement to the
product that you may need.
Not to say we couldn't power a SOHO office, but also adding the ability
to scale large enterprise-wide configurations as well.
We have a very nice groundwork for a macro/scripting interface, along
with a new call routing manager - that attempts to more logical with
handling a call.

Here's a quick run-through:
You create an auto attendant menu that plays a greeting file, and assign
the following digit actions:
    Press 1  ->   Sends to extension 1021
    Press 2 ->  Goes to menu 'Tech Support'
    Press 3 ->  Goes to Support Queue
    etc...

You create the 'Tech Support' menu that plays a greeting file, and
assigns the following digit actions:
    Press 1 ->  Transfers to Level 1 support queue
    Press 2 ->  Transfers to Level 2 support queue
    Press 3 ->   Transfers to Level 3 support queue
etc...

The same principle will apply to PSTN lines:
    Incoming call on line 1 -> during normal hours, send to Auto
Attendant menu (see above)
    Incoming call on line 1, matches caller id of '111-555-4444' - send
to Tech support level 3 queue
    Incoming call on line 2, call marketing director extension (2020)
during normal hours - calls marketing director cellphone after hours

The same logic is applied to Extensions within the system:
First, build a script to assign to an extension:

    Script:   Extension with Voicemail
    Commands:
                exten =>  s,1,Dial(${ARG1},20)
                exten => s,2,Goto(s-${DIALSTATUS},1)
                exten => s-NOANSWER,1,Voicemail(u${ARG2})
                exten => s-BUSY,1,Voicemail(b${ARG2})
                exten => _s-.,1,Goto(s-NOANSWER,1)
                exten => a,1,VoicemailMain(${ARG2})

Next, Create your extension - and assign a script to handle the extension:

    Extension:  1000   <--- This is ARG1
    Script:   [Extension with Voicemail]
    Voicemail Box:    {ARG2}
          [_] Send voicemail to this extension
                or
             Send voicemail to:   [--drop down of other extensions--]

Now, whenever someone dials '1000' - it will run the 'Extension with
Voicemail' script (really an Asterisk Macro).  If you ever update this
macro, you update all extensions assigned to this macro.

Now, combine this logic with the Asterisk macro facility, and you have a
very easy - yet flexible interface.
We are also implementing an export/import function within the
scripting/menus where you can quickly export all scripts from one server
and import them in another.  Also if someone writes a very complex, and
detailed script that does alot of call logic - they could export the
script, post it on the community site for you to download and import
into your system.
With the import/export functions - you could quickly deploy hundreds of
PBXs with a default configuration, potentially saving you 90% of the
work per install - and creating a consistent install.