[Asterisk-Users] SIP V2 Support

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Tue May 31 12:48:20 MST 2005

Mohamed A. Gombolaty wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am totally new in this arena and I am still waiting for my
> installation process on freebsd to finish, but I wanted to make sure of
> the following:
>
> - Call routing between IP telephones can be done regardless of who made
> the phones?
As long as you support at least one of the VoIP protocols that Asterisk
supports, yes.

> - Asterisk does support SIP V2?
Yes. I would say that we support it to 85%, there are still work to do.
It will work for basic calls between a SIP phone connected to Asterisk
and Asterisk.

> - it does act as SIP Proxy and Register?
No. Asterisk is a SIP location server (a registrar) but *not* a SIP
proxy. We do answer calls and start calls - Asterisk is a SIP user
agent. We do not forward SIP messages untouched between SIP devices,
like a SIP proxy. Basically we're a multiprotocol PBX.

There's a lot of information on Asterisk and SIP out there. My blog
contains some information, as well as www.voip-info.org

My blog is at www.voip-forum.com

Regards,
/Olle

----
Astricon - the Asterisk User's conference - Madrid June 15-17
http://www.astricon.net/europe/ - Register today!