[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk on Soekris

David Choo DavidChoo at espore.com
Tue May 31 09:55:31 MST 2005

Colin is spot on.

Couple of years back, we were using Deskpro with 256MB to Run Win2K Server
and Lotus Domino with 10 clients. It ran flawlessly until we moved to a
proper server. The same Lotus Domino Server, with more RAM, is now my Linux
Firewall with over 10 Vlans and around 500 hosts behind it today. Only goes
down when me or my colleagues decide to do something funny with it.

Hail Compaq... too bad HP didn't do too good a job at integrating...

Best Regards,

==============================
David Choo
Sales Engineer
Business & Technology Division
"Engineered for Changing Businesses"
Espore Corp Pte Ltd
68 Kallang Pudding Rd
#04-03 SYH Logistics Bldg
Singapore 349327
Tel: 65-6842 2725, Ext - 404
Fax : 65-6842 2724
E-mail :DavidChoo at Espore.com
=============================

Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message. If
you are not the intended recipient, you must not copy it or use it for any
purpose, nor deliver this message to anyone. Instead, please delete this
message and destroy any other record of it immediately and kindly notify
the sender by return email. Thank you for your co-operation.

Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as
information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, arrive late, or contain
viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or
omissions in the context of this message nor can the sender guarantee that
this message is virus free.

             Colin Anderson
             <ColinA at landmarkm
             asterbuilder.com>                                          To
             Sent by:                  'Asterisk Users Mailing List -
             asterisk-users-bo         Non-Commercial Discussion'
             unces at lists.digiu         <asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
             m.com                                                      cc

                                                                   Subject
             31/05/2005 10:13          RE: [Asterisk-Users] Asterisk on
             PM                        Soekris

             Please respond to
              Asterisk Users
              Mailing List -
              Non-Commercial
                Discussion
             <asterisk-users at l
             ists.digium.com>

> So, I'm wondering does anyone have real-life
> comparisons on the failure rate of a PC compared to the failure rate of
> some of these options??

Obviously, an embedded PC or something that is designed such as a Sokeris
is
made to last a *long* time, but in my experience, a Tier 1 PC (older
Compaq,
HP, *not* consumer) PC fares well. I use old Tier 1 PC's for utility jobs
like small firewalls or FTP servers or hell even homebrew SAN's and the
like, and they just keep chugging. I've never seen a power supply die on a
Deskpro, and I've been using them for > 10 years. They seem immune to the
stupid minor problems that bring clones to a halt, like dust in the fans.
I'd never use a clone in an an application where the life expectancy is
greater than a year. I sleep well at night knowing that all of those old
PC's will be quietly running and doing their jobs just fine the next day.
Also, Tier 1 PC's typically are well documented, you can still get drivers
for them, and the design is consitient and *made* for business
applications.
For example, every Deskpro ever made allows you to run it headless, there's
an option for it right in the BIOS.
To UNSUBSCRIBE or update options visit: